Thursday, June 11, 2009

Super Busy

Well, I've had little time to devote to writing any sort of description of what I'm doing. But I'm gonna do that now...sort of.

I've started getting settled into my job a little more now and learning what's what and creating my contacts for getting stuff done. That's what supply officers do, they get stuff done by talking to the right people. However, I don't think I ever got the run around as much in the Navy as I have so far in the Army.

Largely, I'm reviewing, creating, renewing contracts, and getting the day to day stuff for the base. The COL also appointed me the Visit Officer, which means I get to baby sit the people that come visit us. That's kinda cool, but truthfully, I can see it being more of an annoyance when I have to get real work done, like, I don't know, making sure we get the building materials to construct housing? It's not hard though, just another small collateral.

If anyone has checked my Facebook account, I've posted tons of pics. I would love to post them here, but it takes forever to upload here (well, it takes forever to upload period in this country), so I'm just leaving them there.

Ok, so I've also started learning Dari, the major language here. You don't really NEED to learn it, but it certainly makes it easier to deal with the locals here, and they will often give you a better deal if you at least attempt to speak to them in their language. And all the ANA (Afghan National Army) are nice here, so it's not difficult to speak to them, assuming they know english of course. Yesterday, coming back from the chow hall, a truck full of ANA came driving at the three of us walking back to our base (we have to walk up the hill to eat, it's great for "appetite justification"). I mean, they were hauling tail comin up on us and fast. Then they hit the breaks real hard, swerved, and then waved at us while laughing! I actually found the whole episode pretty funny, and it goes to show that even though we're in a war zone, humor isn't lost on either side of the language barrier.

4 comments:

  1. Just write when you can Sweetie. We all know you can't write as often as you wish you could. We do hang on every word of course :-)
    Carol,Grans friend, said that it was very important to use chapstick int he corners of your eys and lips. I'll have toa ask how she knows that. She's usually spot on with the things she knows. If you can't get your hands on some let me know and I will send you some Burts Bees. As always we love you and can't wait to see youl Your brother asks about you in his letters and he's doing great. Love you bunches!!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I wish I had known the phone was ringing the other morning, sorry I missed your call. I was TDY at Ft Stewart working on the video headend and some of the LAN issues. I miss you, hope you are doing well, and happy!

    Love Ya..... (be carefull, trucks are tough)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Riley,
    Just a little note to let you know that I have not forgotten you and that I love you and am so proud of you, I know you will be glad when you come home and so will your mom, dad, Lisa and Aunt Linda. Please take care of yourself. Give me your facebook name so I can send you some things on there too, I tried to do a search, but couldn't find you. Uncle Dave says "keep your (gun) powder dry". :) Much love to you.
    Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Riley!! It's 11:00 pm Wed. Night here and I was just finishing going through all of my emails. Before I sign off for the Night, I wanted to write you real quick to let you know that I was thinking about you. Don't worry about writing back, I know you are staying very busy!! Just keep your wits about you, if possible in all of that wonderful Heat and Sand, and know that Beth and I are thinking of you Daily, sometimes Hourly!
    Take Care,
    Love you,
    Beth & Carolyn
    (oh yea, Bertie Lee & Precious, of course)!!!

    ReplyDelete