Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Legacy

If you really want to call it that anyway. Everyone wants to leave a stamp on the place they worked or had an effect, I suppose. I think mine will be trees. There's all this construction going on, expanding the student and staff areas of this base and even though I've oversaw it happening from the start, the project was really started last year, before I got here. So it's not really mine.

I got an idea from an Afghan National Army (ANA) Lieutenant Colonel today. He said we should plant trees around the base. I'm gonna make it my mission to plant fruit trees around this base before I leave. Something nice to look at, provide some shade, and make some fruit for everyone here as well.

I've sponsored an Afghan for citizenship. He's 21 and he's probably the hardest worker I know. And respectful but man is he smart. This kid is amazing. He should be getting his Visa before too long and I'm proud to be his sponsor. My plan is to really mentor him and help him get situated, especially considering the culture shock he's bound to have. His brother, who he will go stay with, lives in New York right now, but they may move south since he has a young child and they are concerned about the cold weather. That would work out well for my plans. I really see this kid as a positive addition to our country. He's bound to make up for a few of the turds in the states.

3 comments:

  1. Riley this sounds really exciting. I am thrilled to hear about the young man you have decided to sponsor and think it is wonderful that you want to mentor him after he comes to the United States! I think it says a lot of what kind of Person you are to think beyond just the opportunity for this man to come to America, but also the hardship he may and probably will experience after getting here from the culture shock.
    You've come up with a way to make the time over there as positive one as possible with the planting of the trees, especially fruit trees. You never cease to amaze me with your forethought, kindness and caring, even after experiencing all that you have in war. I hope that no matter what somehow you will always be able to hold onto that throughout your career with the Military!
    We are counting the Days until we have you back here in the U.S.!
    We love you & miss you!
    Take Care,
    Carolyn & Beth
    Oh yea, we wanted you know how much everyone has been jealous of Our silk scarves and bracelets that you gave Us for Christmas. We are always showing them off every chance we get!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! But then I'm not surprised!! Doing something to help others is your everlasting legacy.

    Love Ya, Mean It!!!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know how much I like the young man you are sponsering - especially since he says I sound to young to be your mom ;-) I love you son and I have always been proud of you and I have always known that you would do great things. Both you and your brother are the best thing that I ever did with my life. Everything else pales... Love you

    ReplyDelete